question for those who meditate / mindfulness adherents?

Mindfulness
by RubyJi
Question by silvercanoe on "Mindfulness":

I bought one of Jon Kabat-Zinn's books. I'm interested in everything he says, but I'm still a little unclear on how mindfulness enriches your life. Can anyone here enlighten me? I often come across the example of, "When I'm washing the dishes now I'm just washing the dishes and not doing anything else." Does this really make life richer or deeper? Thanks--I'm sincerely interested.

Best Answer:

Answer by Warrior Poo Flinger NorCal R&Ser
It's living in the now, in the moment, something we've forgotten how to do. When we're washing dishes we're usually thinking about what we have to do later that day or the next day, or something we forgot to do earlier, or thinking, " I need to remember to buy more dish soap.." or anything other than what we're actually doing. Now dish washing isn't the greatest joy in the world, but it's an example. If you can be mindful when you're eating a grape for example, close your eyes, feel the texture of the grape, bite into it and really experience the sensations, the temperature of the grape, the flavor, the texture of the meat, roll it around on your tongue, take five minutes to eat the grape and think of nothing else. It'll be the best grape you've ever experienced, because you actually experienced the grape. You were living in the moment, not in the future, not in the past. Hope that example helps better than the dish washing one.

Got A Better Answer? Leave your own answer in the comments



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OTC supplements for stress reduction?

What are some mindfulness practices?

Can Hindu Dharma Survive the atrocities made by terrorists and Chrisitian Conversions?